Tuesday, April 04, 2006

The Best Fucking Shit Ever

Do you like to say fuck? I know I do. But have you ever stopped to wonder how offensive saying fuck actually is? I know I do. So what would you say if I told you I had a BBC commissioned study that investigated the offesiveness of naughty words and broke down in thorough detail just how offensive saying fuck is?

If you said, "Awesome!" you would be correct.

The short list of ranked words is here which comes from the larger Bad Science article here, that I only know about because Language Log posted about it here.

However, the shit you really want is right here. This is the full 64 page report in pdf format and glorious detail. It's the best reading I've done in a while.

A couple of things to note: These people are English. The report was published in December of 2000. Which would explain why bollocks is ranked so high and shit so low and why wanker is apparently more offensive than nigger. The full report breaks down types of slurs and swears and also by age and gender.

So take that shit and love it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home